Snowflake Butter Biscuits
We bake snowflake butter biscuits to proclaim the arrival of winter in New Zealand.
These lovely biscuits, so pleasing to both the eye and palate, are suitable to celebrate almost any occasion from Mid-Winter Feasts to Christmas, because they can be decorated according to the occasion.
- 3 cups (750 ml) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7 ml) baking powder
- 220 gram butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) icing or castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
- Cream butter and sugar and add egg and vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients and add to butter mixture. Mix well.
- Alternatively, mix the dry ingredients together in a food processor, add butter and mix well.
- Chill in your fridge for an hour (it is easier to shape the dough if it's cold).
- Roll to 8 mm thickness and cut into shapes. We used a snowflake cookie cutter for the biscuits on the photo.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 180?C for 8 to 10 minutes, until the biscuits start to brown on the edges.
- When cooled decorate with Royal icing.
- Sprinkle with edible white glitter to lend some extra glamour to the biscuits.